February 2016 Edition
- Registration For CLDE Now Open
- Submit a program proposal will now be extended by 11:59pm Eastern on February 8th.
- Volunteer to review program proposals by February 12th.
- Register for the conference. Early bird deadline is April 25th, at 11:59 p.m. Eastern.
SAVE THE DATE
- 2016 Civic Learning and Democratic Engagement (CLDE) Meeting Pre-Conference Institutes
The Pre-conference sessions to be held on June 1, 2016.Our hope is that colleagues will come together to share why they are a proponent of Civic Learning and Democratic Engagement work in higher education.
- Economic Inequality Student Summit | March 4 & 5, 2016
The Mount Wachusett Community College (Mass.) TDC in partnership with Keene State College (N.H.) ADP is planning a two-day regional Student Public Policy Summit on March 4 and 5, 2016 focused on funding for public higher education. This summit grows out of our work with on the ADP/TDC initiative on Economic Inequality.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE BLOG
- 7 TDC Campuses and AAC&U Join Together to Launch a New Project on Citizenship
The Democracy Commitment (TDC) and The Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U) announced on December 8, 2015, the receipt of a $200,000 grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) to sponsor a series of public forums around the country on “Citizenship Under Siege” in partnership with seven TDC community colleges. TDC and AAC&U, in partnership with these community colleges, will facilitate a tapestry of public dialogues exploring who counts as citizens and who has been accorded full rights to democracy’s promises. Learn more here.
- #CLDE16 | The Top 10 Things to Make the Most of Your Experience
Make sure to check out the, Top 10 Things to Make Most of your #CLDE16 experience, which includes how to submit your program proposal, early bird registration, etc. Learn more here.
- The Democracy Commitment Civic and Community Engagement Survey
We are now inviting all TDC member institutions to participate in the spring 2016 administration of the Civic Community Engagement Survey. Information on the Civic and Community Engagement Survey, including the annual administration timeline, links to survey instruments, related research and publications, and information about how to participate can be found here.
- Submit a Campus Event/Blog Post
We encourage you to visit our website regularly for news here. If you would like us to spotlight your campus event click here, to submit a blog post click hereor if you would like to contribute to this e-newsletter send an email here.
WHAT WE’RE READING
- Full time beats part time in study of community-college success
- Community College Classrooms as ‘Democratic Vistas’
- Easing Access to Public Benefits
- Monroe Community College has been names a military-friendly school by G.I Jobs & US veterans magazines
- Cuyahoga Community College hosted its 39th annual birthday observance of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at the Metropolitan Campus. For more information and pictures visit
- Louis Community College received a generous $300,000 donation from ExpressScripts to provide scholarships to 100’s of #STLCC North County students!
2016 DATES FOR YOUR CALENDAR
- February 10: Pathways to Achieving Civic Engagement (PACE) Conference | North Carolina
- March 20 – 23: National Campus Compact – 30th Anniversary Conference | Boston
- June 2 – 4: ADP/TDC/NASPA #CLDE16 Meeting | Indianapolis
- August 1-6: ADP Stewardship of Public Lands Seminar | Yellowstone