[TDC Opportunities for Members] Announcing Nominations for Student Scholarships for #ADPTDC14 and the TDC Student Action Award
By Stephanie South, TDC National Coordinator
Calling all TDC Campus Coordinators–we have opportunities for your students! Please see below for more information about student scholarships for the 2014 ADP/TDC National Meeting and nominating a team of students for the first annual TDC Student Action Award.
TDC STUDENT SCHOLARSHIPS BEING OFFERED FOR THE 2014 ADP/TDC NATIONAL MEETING:
TDC has just received funding for student scholarships from a donor interested in some of the work that we are doing. We currently have 10 scholarships available for TDC students; these scholarships cover registration for the 2014 ADP/TDC National Meeting and three nights at the conference hotel.
The only requirements are that the student 1) be enrolled in a TDC institution for the coming fall and 2) attend the Election 2014 and Beyond pre-conference session at 1 – 3 p.m. on Thursday, June 5, following TDC Day.
If you have a student in mind, you and the student must contact me via email prior to May 14, 2014, so we can get the student registered and a hotel room reserved for him or her.
Please note that only one student per TDC institution is eligible to receive a scholarship.
First Annual TDC Student Award Call for Nominations:
On Saturday afternoon, the 2014 ADP/TDC National Meeting will feature an awards lunch. For the first time ever, TDC will be giving an award, and we are currently accepting nominations for this award. For more details, please see the attachment, but this is what you need to know:
Each TDC campus coordinator is invited to submit for consideration one student project from his or her institution that meets the following criteria:
- A student project or program aimed at addressing a significant political and/or social issue
- A project that involved a team of students (2+)
- A project with student leadership, where faculty and staff served mainly in an advisory or supporting role
- A project that demonstrated the democratic organizing skills of students
These submissions must be sent via email to Stephanie South, the TDC National Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information:
- Students’ names and contact information (email addresses and phone numbers)
- Name of the project or program they were/are involved in
- A paragraph explaining the reason for the nomination and why they should be selected
The deadline for these submissions is May 16, 2014
The award includes the following:
- A recognition plaque for the team
- $1,000.00 to be divided equally between the students identified by the campus coordinator as the effective participants in the project or program (If ten students were included in the nomination, each gets $100; if it is two students, each gets $500, etc.)
- A perpetual traveling trophy for the awardees’ institution that will have the winning team’s name inscribed in it each year
For more information on the award, click here.