October 2015 Edition
- The Call for Proposals is now open for our 2016 Civic Learning and Democratic Engagement (CLDE16) annual meeting. Proposals are due February 1, 2016 by 11:59 p.m. ET. Registration will open soon, so keep an eye out!
SAVE THE DATE
- #CLDE16 | June 2 – 4, 2016
Mark your calendars! Join us in Indianapolis from June 2 – 4, 2016 for the 2016 Civic Learning and Democratic Engagement (CLDE) annual meeting organized by ADP, The Democracy Commitment (TDC) and NASPA: Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education.
- Community College Humanities Association National Conference (CCHA) | November 5, 2015
TDC will host a pre-conference conversation on humanities and its impact on our civic work in-and-out of the classroom at the CCHA conference in Phoenix, AZ. The discussion will also include a luncheon with the National Endowment for the Humanities chair William “Bro” Adams on the new NEH initiative, The Common Good: The Humanities in the Public Square.
- Civic Engagement & Inequality Conference | November 6 & 7, 2015
Lone Star College, Kingwood (Texas) — a TDC campus participating in the ADP/TDC Economic Inequality Initiative — is hosting a Civic Engagement & Economic Inequality Conference to share pedagogies and activities that colleges and universities are using to talk about inequality on November 6 and 7, 2015 in Houston.
- Economic Inequality Student Summit | March 4 & 5, 2016
The Mount Wachusett Community College (Mass.) TDC in partnership with Keene State College (N.H.) ADP is planning a two-day regional Student Public Policy Summit on March 4 and 5, 2016 focused on funding for public higher education. This summit grows out of our work with on theADP/TDC initiative on Economic Inequality.
- The Democracy Commitment Civic and Community Engagement Survey
The Civic and Community Engagement Survey is currently open to all TDC member institutions and will be implemented next in spring 2016. Information on the Civic and Community Engagement Survey, including the annual administration timeline, links to survey instruments, related research and publications, and information about how to participate can be found here.
- Submit a Campus Event/Blog Post
We encourage you to visit our website regularly for news here. If you would like us to spotlight your campus event click here, to submit a blog post click here or if you would like to contribute to this e-newsletter send an email here.
- Civic Learning and Democratic Engagement in Community Colleges
TDC is working with New Directions for Community Colleges to publish our monograph titled, Civic Learning and Democratic Engagement in Community Colleges in early 2016. The work you do to advance this movement and provide students with the tools necessary to further engage your campus and community is highlighted in this book. We are very thrilled, more information coming soon. Please keep eye out for it!
- Voter Engagement Resources
TDC has created a whole host of different resources to assist participating campuses in engaging students in the democratic process. All of our Best Practices User Guides can be found under the ‘Resource’ tab on the website. In particular, here are the guides on how to develop your Get Out the Vote efforts, and on how to host Voter Registration Drives on campus. In addition, TDC and ADP have created a set of new Electoral Engagement Resources. The resources include links, toolkits and materials designed to engage student voters across the political spectrum.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE BLOG
- Economic Inequality Initiative Campus Grants
Thanks to Weber State University’s (Utah) generosity under Provost Emeritus Michael Vaughan’s leadership, we are able to offer campus mini-grants of up to $1,000 to ADP/TDC Economic Inequality participating campuses for the purpose of advancing the work of this initiative. Applications are due by November 6, 2015 (extended deadline). Find more information click here.
- Constitution Day 2015
Constitution Day can be viewed as a celebratory event; and in many cases it is a celebration of an experiment in democratic governance that continues to balance rights to equality and liberty. On most of our campuses, however, Constitution Day is not (only) celebratory, but a day to spur people to think more deeply, to consider opposing perspectives, to spur citizens to action and to wrestle with complex issues facing our civic life and democratic institutions. Learn about what our campuses did click here.
- #CLDE15 Meeting in Review: Leveraging Academic and Student Affairs Partnerships to Advance Civic Learning & Democratic Engagement
Just in case you missed it, here are all the highlights of our time together in New Orleans, La., which brought together a collection of faculty, students, administrators, community partners and representatives from our national sponsor and partner organizations committed to advancing civic learning and democratic engagement through higher education. Sorry we missed you, but get all caught up, here!
- Manchester Community College (Conn.) submitted an event form online for us to spotlight their event called, Joint Forum on Inequality to be held on October 31st. This event will bring the best student work and faculty experiences across disciplines around the issue of Inequality. For more information visit here.
- Yavapai College (Ariz.) submitted an event form online for their event, Special Days of Service to be held on November 10th. In honor of all service members, especially those who have given the ultimate sacrifice, names are read of our fallen soldiers lost in the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts. For more information visit here.
PARTNERS & FRIENDS
WHAT WE’RE READING
- Assessing Civic Competency and Engagement in Higher Education: Research Background, Frameworks, and Directions for Next-Generation Assessment
- Rethinking Preparation for Work: A Civic-Enriched Liberal Education
- The Modern Struggle for Voting Rights in America
- Just Mercy by Brian Stevenson
2015 – 2016 DATES FOR YOUR CALENDER
- November 3: Election Day
- November 11: Veteran’s Day
- November 14 – 15: Lynton Colloquium on Scholarship of Engagement | Boston
- November 16 – 18: IARSLCE Conference | Boston
- January 18: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
- March 20 – 23: National Campus Compact – 30th Anniversary Conference | Boston
- June 2 – 4: ADP/TDC/NASPA #CLDE16 Meeting | Indianapolis